Thursday, November 17, 2011

Still Training for the Big Day

A number of you have asked why I haven’t had a blog entry for a long time. It seems you are dubious that we are training. I can’t speak for the others (especially Joe Eldridge and John Keleher), but I am indeed training. Saturday, the 12th I ran in Front Royal, Virginia while grandson Gegory Liam was taking his nap. Front Royal is the gateway to Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Mountains and the Shenandoah National Park and the foliage was awesome. I jogged an unchartered route and found myself going along the shore of the South Branch of the Shenandoah River which is quite beautiful and a popular rafting, canoeing and tubing route. The Shenandoah runs to Harpers Ferry, West Virginia where it joins the Potomac on its way to Washington. Circling back through the Front Royal cemetery one sees many sons of the Confederacy markers on the older gravestones----only 60 miles from Washington, DC. Front Royal was the site of a battle in the early 1860s where one Maryland Regiment fought for the North and another Maryland Regiment fought for the South. Sunday, was another beautiful fall day (and the Redskins lost---again), and I ran with Brian in Rock Creek behind the zoo and the site of a Native American grave yard. I made it as far as the Dumbarton Cemetery on the edge of Georgetown with its notables from late 1700s and early 1800s. Brian continued all the way down Rock Creek to the Potomac River at the Kennedy Center and I turned back but got at least three miles in. Monday, I rested my bad foot and went to the gym. Wednesday the 16th I ran in the cold rain, today to the gym for treadmill and some weights---so there---ye skeptics. Only three days to race time!

We are up to 19 donors and a total of $1,800. We are 45% to reaching our goal of $4,000. Thank you one and all.

Patrick

No comments:

Post a Comment